Saturday, January 01, 2011

O God, make me discontented

O God, make me discontented with things
the way they are in the world,
and in my own life.
Make me notice the stains when people get spilled on.
Make me care about the slum child downtown,
the misfit at work,
the people crammed into the mental hospital,
the men, women and youth behind bars.
Jar my complacency,
expose my excuses,
get me involved in the life of my city and world.
Give me integrity once more,
O God, as we seek to be changed
and transformed,
with a new understanding and awareness
of our common humanity.

Robert Raines

1 comment:

jmelco51 said...

there is a powerful prayer using this poem by livingthequestion.com it is quite compelling and i hope you feel like checking it out. thanks for posting this poem. it is my belief that we need more poems like this in our lives. blessings