Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lie back and the sea will hold you

Lie back, daughter, let your head be tipped back in the cup of my hand.  Gently, and I will hold you.
Spread your arms wide, lie out on the stream, and look up, laugh at the gulls.  A dead man's float is face down.  You will dive and swim soon enough where this tidewater ebbs to the sea.

Daughter, believe that when you tire on the long thrash to the island, lie up, and survive.
As you float now, where I held you and let go,
Remember when fear cramps your heart what I told you:  Lie gently and wide to the light-year stars,
Lie back and the sea will hold you. ~Phillip Booth

1 comment:

Heidi Renee said...

thanks erin - this is all about trust for me, putting that picture - me laying back near the sea took just about everything i had to post... but it signified the poem so completely for me... trust... short supply lately.