Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boys (Lesson One) Jars of Clay

I just downloaded the new Jars of Clay The Long Fall Back to Earth mp3 from Amazon. It will take a bit to grow on me, the sound is new and very 80's. Not a lot of lyrics and I don't know if anything could have been good enough for me after Good Monsters.

So, it's only my first listen - but the song Boys (Lesson One) stopped me dead in my tracks. Raising a son is an education for me. I didn't have a brother and am finding walking through this has brought a lot of new realizations and learning.

This song is so beautiful and full of grace -

Lesson one, do not hide.
Lesson two, there are right ways to fight
and if you have questions we can talk through the night

So you know who you are and you know what you want
I've been where you're going, and it's not that far
it's too far to walk, but you don't have to run
you get there in time

Lesson three, you're not alone
But since I saw you start breathing on your own
You can leave, you can run
But this will still be your home

So you know who you are and you know what you want
I've been where you're going, and it's not that far
It's too far to walk, but you don't have to run
You get there in time, get there in time

In time, to wonder where the days have gone
In time, to be old enough to wish that you were young
When good things are unraveling, bad things come undone
If you ever love or loose your innocence

There will be liars and thieves who take from you
Not to undermine the consequence, but you are not what you do
And when you need it most I have a 100 reasons why I love you

So you know who you are and you know what you want
I've been where you're going, and it's not that far
It's too far to walk, but you don't have to run
You get there in time

So you know who you are and you know what you want
I've been where you're going, and it's not that far
It's too far to walk, but you don't have to run
You get there in time, you get there in time

If you ever love or lose your innocence,
just remember....
Lesson one....

~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have a son, you need this song. It is so beautiful it makes my heart hurt.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have a son, but my heart hurt anyway...

Anonymous said...

I was listening to this song for the first time this morning on my way to work, and I spontaneously starting crying. Completely took me off guard...I have two boys (7 and 6)

Anonymous said...

Just a few typos. Should say "you are not what you do." And "loose your innocence" should be "lose your innocence." This is a beautiful song and thanks for posting the lyrics. "I have a 100 reasons why I love you."

Heidi Renee said...

thank you! i had to listen to it and type at the same time bcuz it wasn't posted anywhere :D

Jim said...

I love this song too!!! I just got this album off of iTunes and this quickly became my favorite.

Tommy said...

I was looking for lyrics to this song and stumbled upon your Blog. I'm 25 and am graduating from college. I usually don't like "Christian" bands too much, jars of clay is one of the rare exceptions. I typically adore their song writing. For the most part this album (after a first go around) has been a bit of a disappointment--except this song. I'm a firm believer in songs always having two broad meanings. What the author meant behind it when they wrote it, and what it ends up meaning to us. When we find great music it is usually great for indiscernible reasons. one can often times rattle off a list of reasons they like song X, but if you really press them eventually they have to come to the position that it just clicks for them. It places within them a certain "feeling" that they can't really pinpoint as a demonstrable characteristic they can label. It always is a "feeling" isn't it? I have probably found a half dozen songs like that from Jars of clay. This album has one. That would be this one. I can't really even give a list yet, but there is something about this song that is so rhythmically soothing and yet utterly sorrowful.
Musically I really like the way they are going. I was fond of a few songs in Monsters, but still by far my favorite of their albums has to be the acoustic set on Furthermore. Anyway, those are just my two...or four cents. Hope I didn't domineer too much on your blog post. Oh, one more thing. I read your bi-line and was encouraged. It sounds like you are finding a new sense of freedom within yourself and a time in your life that is amazing to find it. Don't ever wish you had found it earlier, you found it when you were supposed to find it.

Heidi Renee said...

Tommy - thanks for your post - you never have to apologize for interacting with my thoughts! I too was not as impressed with the whole album, liker Closer too, but the rest isn't growing on me - but this song was worth the price of admission.

I think when people intersect deep truth with deep pain, especially musically it moves us in a way that little else does. We all know how deeply we are tempted to hide - and this song reminds us that it is always the wrong choice. We were made for community, not isolation - and it is in community where we find what we were looking for all along.

Thank you also for your encouragement on my bi-line - I am loving my 40's and wouldn't trade a minute of them to go back. Enjoy your graduation - and whatever is next for you!

Brennan said...

I was also looking for the lyrics of this song when I stumbled on this blog. I particularly like how Tommy summarized the feeling of listening to it "rhythmically soothing and yet utterly sorrowful." I remember having a discussion about this with my good friend. Perhaps I'll blog about it soon.

Do continue telling the world your stories Heidi. And congratulations on your new home.