Saturday, March 03, 2007

Franciscan Benediction

May God bless you with discomfort,
At easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships,
So that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger,
At injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
So that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with tears,
To shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war,
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness,
To believe that you can make a difference in this world,
So that you can do what others claim cannot be done.

Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi ... I really loved your blog. I linked to it via my friend Dan Wilt. I'm will add your name to my blogroll as you have a great perspective that I'd like others to read.

Thanks, Mark

Heidi Renee said...

Wow Mark - thank you so much! Dan is an amazing guy. Can't wait to take a peek at your blog too! Isn't the blogosphere amazing? It was actually through a link to Dan's blog that brought us to St. Stephen. I read it and went "oh my - these are people like us" - the ability blogs have to connect like minded people from around the world is such a gift. Thanks for your encouragement today!

Anonymous said...

Dan and I first met about 18 years ago in Cambridge - both of us very wet behind the ears!!

Then much later he ended up in a small group with my brother and his wife, so our paths crossed again.

And finally we have connected once again through his blog and through my work at Bridgeway with SSU.

We've always been kindred spirits, and it's nice to just have that connection with certain people that is there, despite not really living in the same place or seeing each other regularly.