Monday, March 12, 2007

Getting to know the Spirit

I was raised with a very limited pneumatology - the Holy Spirit was basically there to convict you of sin and to illuminate "the scriptures" - very little else was ever taught or expanded upon. I think it is one of the greatest losses to much of the evangelical church. We are now in a beautiful place where the Trinity is fully embraced and I am finding great joy in getting to know "the breath of God" more fully. This quote from Nouwen today is fascinating, I need to soak in it more to get a better understanding, so I'm putting it here so I don't forget:

The Spirit of Jesus Listening in us

Listening in the spiritual life is much more than a psychological strategy to help others discover themselves. In the spiritual life the listener is not the ego, which would like to speak but is trained to restrain itself, but the Spirit of God within us. When we are baptised in the Spirit - that is, when we have received the Spirit of Jesus as the breath of God breathing within us - that Spirit creates in us a sacred space where the other can be received and listened to. The Spirit of Jesus prays in us and listens in us to all who come to us with their sufferings and pains.

When we dare to fully trust in the power of God's Spirit listening in us, we will see true healing occur.

Henri Nouwen

2 comments:

Bill said...

I know what you mean, It is a blessing when the Trinity is taught. What you shared was thought provoking and i will need to ponder it for awhile. Thank you for sharing it.

Bill

Heidi Renee said...

Yes, it is isn't it? I think I could make a full time job out of pondering Nouwen! :) Thanks for your comment!