Monday, February 04, 2008

Lent: 2008

Scot McKnight just blogged an idea for lent that I think I am going to embrace. Saying the Jesus Creed as the first and last part of each day.

I will also be limiting my morning computer time. I'm not totally removing the computer from my life for Lent as I have papers to write and research, but I won't be sitting in front of the computer until after noon each day. Quick, standing reference or email excepted. The purpose of this to to encourage me to find better ways to spend my time - like reading for school... :P

Our family is also choosing "meatless Mondays" as a way to begin to examine our own "omnivore's dilemma" and begin to think more carefully about our consumption and learn to cut back in ways that help us and our planet.

The kids and Keith have decided to join me in my chocolate fast (nearly 8 years now) although I'm sure they will celebrate the Sunday release and enjoy some of their favorite treats.

I will also be attempting to explore yoga in the comfort of my own living room. I have a dvd that will get me started and if nothing else will give me some quiet, stretching and breathing time to center my day and get my blood flowing.

Lent has only been a part of my history for the past few years. I don't know if I'll be holding my own ash ceremony tomorrow or if I'll find a service here locally, but I appreciate it's addition to my yearly routine. It reminds me regularly that I am not alone in my faith as I join with the church in choosing these 40 days (actually 47?) to be different.

How will you be celebrating lent?

No comments: