Saturday, January 03, 2009

My survey of 2008

1) What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?

Took a real, live family vacation to the Oregon coast for a family reunion there. It was glorious.

2) Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't make resolutions, but I do have a word for the year - last year was "complete" and this years is "thrive"

3) Did anyone close to you give birth?

My sister gave birth to her second child Sam - and I still haven't had the joy of meeting him yet.

4) Did anyone close to you die?

Keith's father, Andy died last spring and no one in my family until the last week of the year when two of my cousins died. One from each side of my family. These are the first from "my generation" to pass and they were both unexpected and tragic. 50 is far too early to die.

5) What countries did you visit?

Still only in North America.... sigh.

6) What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?

Something big to pour my energies into - pioneering a project that meets a real need in our community and beginning to develop it into a vital ministry.

7) What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Election day.

8) What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I can fit a size 12 jean. WOO HOO! :D

9) Did you suffer illness or injury?

no, very healthy year for me.

10) What was the best thing you bought?

living room furniture - I am a grown up now! :D

11) Whose behavior merited celebration?

I loved watching Barack Obama this past year. We got to see him live in Bangor last February and as most of you know I was/am a big supporter. Seeing him navigate this election was beautiful, his responses to challenges and difficulties - there were very few times I was disappointed.

12) Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Appalled would be a strong word, but there are so many in my life from my past who have distanced themselves from me and judged me because of my political views. It makes me so sad that different = bad to so many.

13) Where did most of your money go?

Money? I guess our vacation and furniture, although we didn't spend grand amounts on either.

14) What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Politics were a surprise to me, I got really invested in the election. Cooking was also a bit of a surprise.

15) What song will always remind you of 2008?

Switchfoot - This is Home
Coldplay - Yes!
The Once Soundtrack - I know the movie came out in 2007, but I hadn't heard it until last year and it filled my head for half of it.

16) Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? Yes
Healthier? Yes
Richer? No

17) What do you wish you’d done more of?
Kept on top of our finances and my school work

18) What do you wish you’d done less of?

Politics

19) How did you spend Christmas?

It was wonderful to finally realize that we didn't have to travel this year to feel like we were "home" for Christmas. We truly are home here in New Brunswick and we celebrated with each other, our friends and our community.

20) Did you fall in love in 2008?

I worked hard on love this year. 21 years married and 25 together - that doesn't happen by accident.

21) What was your favorite blog post that you wrote?

Leaning into the fear

22) What were your favorite TV programs?

The Office
Relocation/Relocation
House
Fringe

23) Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I used to NEED to have an enemy - I didn't know it, but it drove me. Once I figured out that this wasn't working for me I truly can say that NO, I didn't hate anyone last year, although many people pushed my buttons! :D

24) What was the best book you read?
The Brothers K

25) What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Once Soundtrack

26) What did you want and get?
Serenity and a much healthier view of my femininity and body image.

27) What did you want and not get?
Magical paper writing skills :D

28) What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall E & Once

29) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was/am 43 - and I invited my tribe to my home for Canadian Thanksgiving - and minus the plate smashing incident (accident, not Greek Opa fun) it was lovely.

30) Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?
Guess??? Barack & Michelle Obama

31) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
What Not to Wear is my fashion bible - that show has helped me figure out what works for me and doesn't (most of the time) - I can only call it thrift store Heidi. :D

32) What kept you sane?
The 12 steps

33) Who did you miss?
My sister and her kids

34) Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I learned that I am not dangerous. I learned that I am capable and worthy of love and deep friendship. I learned that loving myself and caring for myself is the best way I can love my family. I learned that community is healing. I learned that living with longing isn't sad desperation, but how we learn to grow and unfold.

35) What did you gain this year?
I became comfortable in my own skin.

36) What did you lose this year?
lots of weight and a very bad image of myself and my body.

37) Who was the best new person you met?
me.

38) Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Suddenly I See - KT Tunstall

Her face is a map of the world
Is a map of the world
You can see she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
And everything around her is a silver pool of light
The people who surround her feel the benefit of it
It makes you calm
She holds you captivated in her palm

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

I feel like walking the world
Like walking the world
You can hear she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
She fills up every corner like she's born in black and white
Makes you feel warmer when you're trying to remember
What you heard
She likes to leave you hanging on her word

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

And she's taller than most
And she's looking at me
I can see her eyes looking from a page in a magazine
Oh she makes me feel like I could be a tower
A big strong tower
She got the power to be
The power to give
The power to see

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

Here’s to ‘09…


I saw this on Marko's blog (who saw it on josh treece’s blog.)

1 comment:

anj said...

Yeah to knowing you are not dangerous!! And all the rest too.